I was looking into some phenomenal twitter activity related to one of my posts, when I noticed the high volume of tweets wasn't really correlating with a huge jump in traffic to the page. I used Topsy.com to look at some of the tweeters and found groupings of bogus tweeters broadcasting the same tweet over and over. They all look fairly legitimate until you dig into their bios. I called it a Twitter Marketing Scam, maybe it's just spam. Pretty sophisticated network of tweetbots.
Watch Twitter Marketing Scam directly on YouTube.
I assume this scam is to build a large network of Twitter accounts within "business" networks and hashtags and then sell performance-based social media services and show fantastic growth and mentions by using these accounts to run up the numbers. Pretty slick. Pretty crappy.
Twitter Turkey's moving into social business space. If I could just figure out how to activate them again, I could get this post to go viral! (grin)
Check out the Social Media for Business page and these other posts about learning social media:
- How to Get Useful Business Information Out of Twitter: Hashtags for Social Media Research
- Social Marketing Strategy: Thinking Beyond the Page (VIDEO)
- Social Network Content Marketing Tactics: Using LinkedIN Groups (VIDEO)
- YouTube Video Marketing with Social Media: Reporting 3 Weeks of Results
- What's Working Really Well in Social Media Marketing? (CHART)
- Google Analytics for Online Marketing in Less Than 2 Minute (VIDEO)
- How Can a Social Media Strategist Help Your Business? (VIDEO)
- Social Business Lead Generation in 75-seconds (VIDEO)
- Introduction to Social Media Marketing in 90-seconds (VIDEO)