Yes Ferris, there are two other social networks that you need to pay attention to if you rely on consumer marketing in any way. I have joined both of these networks/sites/apps (whatever you want to call them) in the last week. Here are my thoughts and recommendations. (Pinterest < new overview)
Social Sharing of Deals and Information
When I first saw Pinterest, in October 2011, I was being approached by a potential client who wanted to replicate the Pinterest model in another category. We didn't get very far in the discussion, because with a few questions it was clear that my new friend had not thought very far down the actual path of developing Pinterest (for shoes). We talked for about 20 minutes anyway, and I got an eye-opening view of Pinterest.
Interesting how you can browse by (p)interest even if you aren't a member. The Pinterest forumla builds beautiful pages, always. That's the magic sauce.
Photosharing made simple and beautiful.
Even if you've never shot a Instgram photo, you've seen them everywhere.
Here's what the TWO founders say about their vision for a new service:
- Mobile photos always come out looking so-so. We set out to create some awesome looking filters to transform your photos into professional-looking snapshots.
- Sharing on multiple platforms is a pain – we want to take a picture once, and have it shared (instantly) on the services of our choice.
- Most uploading experiences are clumsy and take forever – we’ve optimized the experience to be fast and efficient.
So WE (us older folks) might not get either one of these new networks right away, but let me assure you, you need to know them both. The future of consumer sharing is changing dramatically, and Pinterest and Instagram are frontline apps in changing online behaviors.
Go get Instagram on your iPhone now.
LIMITED OFFER: FREE UBER-SWOT analysis of your online business: FREE SWOT REVIEW Form
For further reading:
- Pinterest: When Curation Becomes Meaningful for Anyone (Social Media Today)
- How to Prepare Your Business for Pinterest (PC World)
Check out these other posts about learning social media:
- Pinterest and the Power of Social Bookmarking: Tag Yourself (Web Design is Dead)
- The Best Facebook Post Ever Written (by me) NSFW
- The ROI of Social Media – It’s Easy, Right? (return on investment)
- Saying Thank You and Pressing On With the Work At Hand
- Twitter Lists Demoted, Twitter Favorites Promoted, NEW TWITTER Changes the Game
- Growing Your Google+ Influence: the BIGGEST GOOGLE PLUS tip
- How To Fix Dell.com – And Dell's Branding Crisis (they aren't asking me any more)
- My Dream for You; How Social Media Can Change Your Life – This Is What I Do
- How to Get Useful Business Information Out of Twitter: Hashtags for Social Media Research
- The Twitter Bubble; Don't Let Your Followers Fool You Into Feeling Influential
- Social Marketing Strategy: Thinking Beyond the Page (VIDEO)