You don't care why I am going to sit out this South By Southwest. I know that. But I've answered the question so many times in the last 48 hours that I thought I would let you know publicly, that I love SXSW. I am not attending this year partially because of the badge fee. (In previous years I have had a company pay my entrance fee, or I have been a speaker and gotten a comp badge to SXSW Interactive) But not this year. So here's my party line:
I am not going to SXSW this year because I don't need any more ideas or any more connections. What I need right now is business. And there are "some" opportunities to get business at SXSW, but primarily it is for networking and getting to meet new people and socialize with old friends. It's a great time. At this moment in my life, however, I am not in search of good times. I'm in search of the way, the path, the call to action that will match up with my call to service.
So my hashtag this year will be #SXSbed, signifying my ability to stay in bed on these cold rainy days in March, when I should be networking and jazzing it up with my fellow social media workers and associates. I'll be writing and working from South by South-bed.
Maybe I've transitioned into SXSPorch.
But I will tell you, I am not idle. I am working on my evil plan(tm).
Have fun with the huge learning love fest in downtown Austin this weekend. I'm waving at you from over here in the hill country. And next year, let's do a panel together and both get free badges. Here's my previous post on this subject: Another SXSW – Another Dollar; Unless Somebody Else Is Paying, I'm Not Going
Namasté. (Sorry the weather sucks.)
Other posts about kicking ass in social media:
- The Quick Course in Online Marketing: Big Picture (Social Media, Search Engine Marketing, eMail Marketing, Content Marketing)
- Chartbeat Web Analytics Package – The Micro-Review
- New Web Design Standards: Flexible-Width and non-IE Browsers Abound
- 8 Steps Getting Social Media To 5 Goals & 2 Wins the [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Defining Social Media: Online Marketing + Social Networks = Social Media
- fCommerce – So, You Want To Make Money on Facebook's 800 Million Users?
- ROI ROI ROI and Social Media; We Need to Have This Discussion Again
- Facebook Privacy: the Myth, the Changes, the Confusing Privacy Settings
- Damn, We Should Do An Infographic on That; Charts Trying to Be More and Do More?
- Pinterest and the Power of Social Bookmarking: Tag Yourself (Web Design is Dead)
- Social Media MBA – The Reading List
See all of the Social Media Marketing Videos on the Social U. page.