This morning I woke a bit before dawn and heard a happy band of neighborhood coyotes cackling and howling down near the lake. I was reminded of the cats and small dogs who's "LOST" posters show up with some regularity. And what occurred to me was a variation of a Reshad Feild phrase, "There is no time to slay the coyote, the coyote is your friend."
Without a plan and a map you can be overtaken by the coyotes either as pray or newly inducted follower. So what are the tools and maps that will get you along *your* chosen path? If you don't have a map for the year ahead, chances are that's where you will end up with the coyotes as food or servant.
Plan Plan Plan
Career Path Template: It Is That Time of Year Again
So here's a short course in why you need to go to college and an outline of some of the skills you will develop there.
Writing a Plan for Your Future – A Career Path Template from Boxes and Arrows
My most popular post, ever, and I didn't even write the core of it. But goal setting is a big part of understanding the map you need to create for yourself.
Social Media Strategist Notes: You Blog, Right? Tell Me Why Not Again – Career Path Planning
Are you thinking about starting a blog? Are you working, leading, exploring social media as a career? Okay. So if I Google your name, or your Twitter ID I'm going to find… what exactly?
Always Be Learnin
- Social Media MBA – The Reading List
- The Quick Course in Online Marketing: Social Media, Search Engine Marketing, eMail Marketing, Content Marketing
Online Collaborator's Toolkit: The Sharing Tools You Need to Web It Up!
The tools you need to collaborate and work with others across the great web divide.
The 7 Connective Practices of a Tribe – How To Build and Support Shared Plans
Building Your Tribe of Support: 1: event; 2: affirmation; 3: effort; 4: commitment; 5: fearlessly forward; 6: be positive; 7: self-reflection.
Critical Path Strategies: How Are You Getting Things Done? What Are You Cutting Out?
Critical path, is the minimum string of events that have to happen in order for a desired result to be achieved.
The Six Pillars of Online Reputation and Brand Management
Social Media might be a buzz word, but one thing it is not is a get rich quick scheme. Those trying to use it as such are quickly dropped, unfollowed and unfriended. So what makes up a good social profile?
How Energized is Your Referral Network? "I've Got Someone for You."
The only other phrase that is more powerful in business is, "How can I help." And wouldn't you know it, the "offshoring" connector said that phrase too. And he was not plumbing for business.
16 Ideas to Define Your Social Media "Thought Leadership"
What is "thought leadership?" How does someone become a thought leader? One of my mentors told me, "It's all about how you share the information. Are you sharing it to teach people, or to hear yourself?"
Additional Resources – Beyond Uber.la
- Hubspot's Blog: Inbound Marketing: SEO, Blogging, Social Media, Landing Pages, Lead Generation and Analytics
- MarketingProfs: Marketing Resources : Social Media
- Fast Company's The 30-second MBA: Quick Video Lessons
- Change This!: The Personal MBA (updated and expanded)
- 43 Folders – a practical and supportive approach to GTD (Getting Things Done)
- 7 Insanely Simple Ways to Ensure Your Project Gets Done (Dumb Little Man)
- 20 Tricks to Nuke a Bad Habit (Zenhabits)
- The Printable CEO amazing printable tools to keep you on-track – David Seah
- DIY Planner – simple planning templates you can print yourself
Book List Related to this post:
- Steps to Freedom – Reshad Feild
- A Writer's Time: Making the Time to Write
- Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder
"There is no time to slay the coyote, the coyote is your friend."
How Social Media Can Change Your Business – Social Media Strategist Notebook (MLK 2012)
Check out the Strategist's Notebook page and these other posts about online marketing:
- Workin Facebook < all the Facebook Posts in one place
- uber.la quickies < a streamlined takeaway from today's best marketing sources
- Social Media University < 2 minute educational videos
- Social Business MBA < the reading list
- Becoming a Social Media Rockstar: The Quick Path < um… let's discuss
Let me help you jumpstart your social marketing:
Most people don't really enjoy being mean; they do it because they can't help it. (from Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement)