In marketing technology hardware and services, the word of the day is SMB. If you're not in the business, that's probably a vague term. Well, even if you're IN technology that's probably more vague than you think. Let's get a look at the definition and guide rails of Small and Medium Business, the elusive golden calf of technology marketing.
Before you scroll down the page, answer this question. What is the median age of your target customer for SMB products and services? Are you aiming with the right networks and the right words/offers?
Here are a few stats from a recent VM Ware Infographic: Who are SMBs? Let's see how this wunderkind of markets pans out, shall we?
Over all the top-performing SMB businesses types are struggling just like everyone else in the market for services and tech.
And for all intents and purposes we're talking about companies with fewer than 100 employees. The 100 – 499 market is there, but exponentially smaller.
What do we need to know about the PEOPLE in SMBs. The audience we are trying to reach has their own language, their own leisure activities, and their own concerns about family and finances. It's critical to understand your audience so you can speak in their language and metaphors.
65% of your potential SMB workers and influencers will be between the ages of 35 – 64. Does that give you a bit more insight into their needs and desires?
In marketing and understanding the SMB market place we need to do a lot of work. Did you get the age question right? Were you close? How are you speaking to the three biggest age groups?
OUTREACH: Do you know SMB technology and cloud computing? If so please contact me, for an opportunity to participate in some research and get first-access to the results data.
Reference: VM Ware Infographic: Who are SMBs?
More social media marketing tips:
- Are You a Connector? Giving Referrals & Recommendations Is Part of Your Work
- Twitter BS: DM Auto-Responders and Who To Follow *NOT*
- KRED Jacks It's Influencer Points and Spams EVERYONE < A Lesson from #Klout
- Socialwiki.org – ReLaunching the Open Social Media Resource Directory (WIIFM)
- Eight Camera Apps That Kick Instagram's Ass
- First Responder, Gets the Work; Resist the Urge, Pause, Breathe
- Slaying Trolls & Silencing Snipers in Social Media (The Troll Slayer's Motto)
- Redirecting Your Steps Towards What Is Important. Are You Doing What Matters in Work and Life?
- Going Fearless at TEDxAustin 2013 (My Personal View)
- False Security on Facebook: Privacy & Security Problems Continue on FB
- Time to Come Clean on LinkedIn: Gut Check Your "Trust Network"
- Early Bird Attack Plan: Try GTD at the Same Time Every Day
- Dear Lithium, I Just Want Pricing from Your Website
- What IS The Cloud: What Do I Care if I'm On a Cloud or a Web Server?
- Google Page Rank: What You Know and Don't Know Can Hurt Your Business
- Collecting Energy: Are You a Collector, Generator, or User?
Most people don't really enjoy being mean; they do it because they can't help it. (from Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement)