Just how bad is TRUETWIT? In the graphic above I was using Bluenod (a Twitter data viz program) to look at my Twitter community. And who shows up as a big "influence" or "tweeter" in my universe? TrueTwit. I nearly puked. Then I thought I'd update my thoughts a bit from my earlier rant against them: TrueTwit is Twitter Spam
The problem is Twitter is being strangled by SPAM and SPAMMERS. Using the platform to broadcast porn, scammy offers, and all matter of internet crap, just like on email.
NOT HELPING: TrueTwit tries to help newbies get a handle on the spam accounts by asking a FOLLOW REQUESTOR to validate that they are human by going through TrueTwit's service. PROBLEM is this fills your Twitter Direct Message Inbox with this type of message.
I have never and will never validate a TrueTwit request. And I suggest you don't either. If the person is concerned about spammers, let them do the filtering IN PERSON, by making their account PRIVATE and approving REAL followers themselves. TrueTwit automates this process, in theory, but it floods your (my) DM Inbox with crap like the above message. And if you're working Twitter, like I do, your inbox quickly becomes filled with this type of message and nothing else. If someone DID DM me for contact, these days I wouldn't see it, because I don't even OPEN THE DM INBOX.
So in looking at my sphere of influence and community on Twitter I was a bit irritated that TrueTwit comes up and highly influential and connected with my network. And while I'm not declaring a jihad on TrueTwit I'd just hope that Twitter CO will kill their access to the new API. And I'm not alone in my irritation with TrueTwit and TrueTwit users/spammers.
And if you want to see the overall sentiment about TrueTwit do a Twitter search for it. SEARCH: #TrueTwit And what you will see is the flowing daily rant AGAINST TrueTwit's spammy techniques. Heck, join the ruckus and send your own "Hey TrueTwit FK OFF" tweet. They won't get the message because you're not validated using TrueTwit, but they will see it in their Radian 6 dashboard.
There are ways to make Twitter better. But we've got to do the work, like humans, because it's not in Twitter's best interest to shut down the scammers and spammers OR, I suppose, TrueTwit.
1. Don't use ANY AUTO services. (Yes, I disagree with scheduled Tweets.)
2. Please don't use TrueTwit and let the people using it know that you WILL NOT BE VALIDATING OR FOLLOWING THEM.
3. Be REAL and REALTIME.
ALL THE TWITTER RESOURCES YOU NEED:
- The Twitter Way (guide to all things wonderful and hard about Twitter)
- The Twitter Tools Matrix (roundup of all the tools you need to work Twitter like a pro)
- Zen of the Tweet (a best of Tweets, sublime, funny, silly, mean, joyous)
The Essentials of Social Media Marketing:
- Social Media U – videos and best practices
- Digital Strategist's Notebook – my current best-of for small business
- Workin Facebook – all the Facebook learning you'll ever need
- The Twitter Way – the Twitter book in post form
- The Other Social Networks – Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest
- Social Media Funnies – cause we need to laugh at ourselves and our social medianess
- Contact Me – let me know how I can help you grow your business online