In a meeting this morning I was putting plans in place to work with another social media advocate to build a new business plan. We instantly jumped to our sharing tools. I thought it would be helpful to list them here to provide others the benefit of our trial and error with many products and "platforms."
- Basecamp – the simplest online project management service available, calendars, email threading, task lists.
- Dropbox – your virtual sharable storage folder, for passing and editing large files.
- Google Docs – write the proposal in real-time, keep budgets coordinated, share without Office.
- WordPress – the web development platform, not just for blogging, if WordPress can't do it, you probably have an IT departement.
- Delicious – share your bookmarks, leave a breadcrumb trail for your collegues, never google for a critical document again.
- Evernote – note taking app that lives on all your electronic devices, can even be used to share notes with others or a team.
With these tools you can begin to weave together rally points both on the web and within things like business plans and even financial forms. To collaborate effectively you have to get the technology out of the way. These best-of-breed tools can eliminate a lot of the momentum killers.
We all need ways to do our work more effectively. If you come up with an essential tool I'm missing, please message me or leave your idea in the comments.