The industry is concerned about Twitter. More accurately, the growth and sustainability of Twitter in time for them to make a profit.
It's not about money, it's not about new accounts or ads. Twitter is about community and social interactions. The more you AUTO and SPAM Twitter the more YOU (my friend) are killing Twitter.
I am an ass on Twitter sometimes, but mainly to counter act the fools and thieves. This guy above, "The Social Society" on Twitter was not doing anything wrong… Oh wait, yes he was. He even acknowledged it in his tweet. "I apologize for the auto response." Um, yeah, don't apologize, just stop doing it. Period.
DIRECT MESSAGES SUCK, DON'T USE THEM
(And they're going to get worse!)
Here's what my Twitter DM Inbox looks like today.
TrueTwit and Thanks for Following Me. Neither of these are conversations they are auto-messages. I've said enough about how TrueTwit must die. And thank you auto-responders are the second most egregious form of Twitter spam. And guess what? Twitter's going to make it EASIER for ANYONE to DM You. And wait, there's more: They are NOT GOING TO BE LIMITED TO 140 characters. I mean, they've got to do something, right? WRONG. The DM is dead. Twitter killed it. And you are probably killing it too.
WORRIES ABOUT TWITTER'S PROFITABILITY
This is why Twitter is not thriving. Too many people are Auto-Bots: tweeting or auto-DMing a "thank you" message after you follow them. If you want to say "thank you" frickin say it, don't auto-respond.
My biggest pet peeve, however, are the people (some of them rockstars of social media) who blast the same damn message over and over using a Twitter scheduling tool. I've ranted enough at these guys, but you should not join their ranks.
Here's a tip. As Guy Kawasaki so honestly points out, "If I tweet out the same link 5 times, I'm going to get 5-times the responses."
- Do it in real-time.
- Write an original tweet each time.
- Be LIVE so if I respond (oh my gosh, this is "social media") you are there to carry on a conversation with me
Today, social media is becoming more and more of a broadcast network. A ton of people spewing a ton of messages and sales offers, and nobody actually listening. In fact, it's been estimated that 40% of the web's social activity (twitter included) is generated by robots and spam bots. AUTO-BOTS.
If you use a scheduling packages to queue up your tweets, write an original tweet each time. Make it conversational. If you're blast everyone with HERE'S MY NEW POST, HERE'S AN OFFER FOR 10% OFF, you are nothing more than a Social Spammer.
Don't be an idiot, don't be an auto-bot, and don't follow the examples of @guykawasaki (1,450,000+ followers) or @chrisbrogan (315,000+ followers). These guys are supposed to be "trust agents" showing us how to use the web and social media correctly. But they are massive Twitter Spammers.
Be Real. Be Real-Time. Be Ready (online) for a conversation.
The big list of Twitter posts:
Hot Topic: Twitter Falling: Top Four Failures So Far
- Killing Twitter: Who Killed the Direct Message?
- A Quick Peek Into Twitter Analytics. Got Your Tweet On? How's It Going?
- The Final Word on Twitter Influence, Reach, Ratios and Ads
- Twitter Spammers the Simplified Version
- Twitter Ads – Twitter Analytics: The SMB Experiment
- Why Is Your Tweet on Repeat? No Reply Necessary.
- Twitter Is the Heartbeat of Social Media
- The Shame of the Spammy Tweeter
- Master Tweeters Have Become Auto-Bots: @chrisbrogan and @guykawasaki Please Stop!
- TWITTER LEADERSHIP, Please Bring Back the Twitter List
- The Art and Science of the ReTweet; or ReTweeting with a Twist
Or see everything at The Twitter Way section