I've been experimenting with Facebook again. I was tired of the echo chamber my feed had become. The same 20 folks. The same lame news sources. So I did something radical. I started following all of Facebook's suggestions for me. Following so many folks that Facebook ran out of people to suggest. If we had mutual friends, even one, it was a done deal. Now we're friends on Facebook.
A wonderful thing happened as a result. My feed is as lively as hell.
A side benefit: my feed is also full of vibrant young people. And I'm learning a lot about what they share. What they are into. I'm learning a lot from Facebook. And I'm sure some of these virtual "friends" will become friends in real life. So I've breathed life into the old Facebook by expanding my horizon, getting out of my rut, and listening to the gen Xers and millennials.
That, and I do use Facebook as a promotional platform. So it's a win win. More friends equals more reach. I've officially fixed my Facebook boredom. And now when I open up my feed I'm amazed at all that's going on in the world. Stuff I never imagined or cared about before my experiment.
Revive your Facebook experience with these three simple steps.
- Friend a young person who has several mutual connections.
- As your "you might also like" suggestions begin incorporating that person's connections, start following them too.
- Keep going.
- Unfriend the people who pollute your feed with too much self-promotion, or real estate promotions, or offers for business deals and other fuckery.
- Enjoy your new conversation. Enjoy your new friends.
- Go to an event and meet some of this new generation.
Keep Going, It's Worth It,