Apple Music – Can They Get Streaming Music Royalties Right?
Will Apple Music be another killer app, or a soul crushing/artist disparaging streaming network?
So Apple is entering the streaming music business to counter act the loss of revenue from downloads on iTunes. Great. But if they follow the lead of companies like Spotify by not paying the artists fair use royalties, they can kiss the model goodbye. Sure Apple is going to be successful in most any online/business segment they take on, with their dominance in the mobile market. But if they don’t support the indie musicians, fuck them. Yes, I said it.
Digital Music News leaked the initial Apple Music contract breakdown: Apple Is Paying Just 58% of Streaming Royalties Back to Indie Artists… Yeah, fine, that sounds like a pretty good rate. With Spotify doing about .005%, if Apple is doing 100X that rate, cool. We’ll see how it shakes out.
If Apple gets it right, however, by supporting the musicans, they may have a segment killer. Pandora, Spotify, and SoundCloud are on notice. Perhaps this could be a good thing for musicians. Unlike the iTunes deal that started the slide of major labels into insolvency. Something has got to change. Musicians, even established acts, are making almost no money on the streaming services. And kids are no longer buying music. They are just streaming it.
I’m hopeful but weary of my favorite company coming in and making things worse, not better.
Can Apple Music get it right? The announcement at WWDC on Monday sure had a lot of musicians seemingly supporting and crowing about the new Beats One Radio. Trent Reznor is no fan of streaming services, and yet he was one of the spokesmen about how Beats Radio and Apple Music will be different.
We can hope.
Apple Please: Play Music Differently. Play Music Better. Play Music Fairly.
Marketing Content has moved!! >> Find What You Were Looking for on
The Active Media Academy
- Twitter Guide: The PowerUser Edition - Tweetdeck
- Where We Get Our News - Is It Easily Faked?
- METRICS: Online Marketing vs Search Engine Optimization
- What's Wrong With Twitter?
- A Highly-Biased First Look at the Apple iPhone 8 and ATT Customer Service
- LinkedIn is Dead
- WTF Happened to LinkedIn? Referrals Drop 75%!
- When Did Social Media Become So Unsocial?
- Has Apple Lost the Path of Technology Leadership?
- Your Referral Networks - Building Content & Social Momentum
- The Internet of Interaction, Not "Things" NO IoT
- Influencer Marketing Primer
- Content Is Still King: Driving Traffic to your Site with Search and Social
- The Facebook Trap: A Black Hole of Time and Loss
- Top 5 Books About Living a Full and Happy Life
- 11 Steps to Transforming My Facebook Masterplan: Reach and Engagement
- The Fallacy of Just-In-Time Learning: We All Know Everything (Just Google It)
- Selling My BMW i3: Day 207
- Livening Up Facebook: The Next Generation
- Moore's Law and Apple's Laptop Problem
Get Better Hosting
- digital marketing
- Fit Lifestyle
- tech opinion
Count per Day
- 531Reads today:
- 11735Reads last week:
- 5Visitors currently online:
Subscribe to Blog via Email