Apr 28, 2012
How does blogging help your business?
As a tech support help person at BlogathonATX today, I am being asked a lot about “blogging.”
I absolutely hate the term. I rarely refer to myself as a blogger. Um. I guess I am. I guess this <points fingers to all four corners of the page you are reading> is a blog. But don’t remind me of that, okay? I prefer to think of it as a WordPress-enabled website. I am writing all kinds of things including a blog. But don’t focus on the word “blog.” Just learn to write. Express yourself passionately, with vigor and pointed word selection. Call it whatever you like. But get in the habit of WRITING DAILY.
So, what is this writing/blogging stuff if it’s not a blog?
- a book
- a magazine
- a website
- a conversation
- a rant
- a confessional
And therefore what am I?
- a poet
- a writer
- a radical
- a tech writer
- a lunatic
- a blogger
I am NOT a blogger, dammit. Get that straight.
So what has got my “blogging panties in a bundle?” I think it’s the term BLOG. Let’s not call it that any more. I want to be a “writer” when I grow up. I don’t want to be a blogger, for goodness sake.
I share. And I share about blogging. And for YOUR convenience, I’ll string a little Blogging 101 reference here. Just for today, you can call me a blogger, a blogger’s blogger, a blogger who blogs about blogging. But that’s not *really* what I do.
And Just For Fun, here is ChatGPT writing a blogger manifesto based on my data.
The Blogger Manifesto:
- Write: As a blogger, it is important to consistently produce high-quality content. This means taking the time to research and carefully craft your writing, using proper grammar and spelling, and presenting your ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Submit: Once you have finished writing a blog post, it is important to submit it for publication. This may involve uploading it to your personal blog or website, or submitting it to a larger platform such as Medium.
- Converse: As a blogger, it is important to engage with your readers and encourage discussion around your content. This means actively responding to comments and questions, as well as seeking out opportunities to join online communities and participate in relevant conversations.
- Be Nice: As a blogger, it is important to remember that your words have the power to influence and impact others. Therefore, it is crucial to be respectful and considerate in your writing and interactions, even if you may disagree with others’ viewpoints.
PLEASE READ: Letters to a Young Artist in the Digital Age from John Oakley McElhenney
My MUST-HAVE WordPress Plugins
- Wordfence < this should make things pretty solid and unhackable
- Google’s SiteKit < Analytics and GA4 plugin
- P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) < see what’s might be slowing your blog down
- Jetpack < don’t use all the Jetpack features, but it’s a great addition
- WP-reCAPTCHA < spam killa, easy, simple, thorough
You can find for these posts in the sitemap on the first page – I’m rebuilding the links.
Blogging 101 for Subversives
- Sorry, Nobody Reads Your Blog: Get Over It and Get On With It!
- Social Media Strategist Notes: You Blog, Right? Tell Me Why Not Again – Career Path Planning
- 6-Step Process for Refreshing Your Online Content
- Your Site is Down, What Do You Do Now? A WordPress Recovery Process
- How Do I: Make Each Blog Post Count Towards Victory (20 Blogging Tips)
Know Your Numbers
- Web Referrals: Know Your Metrics, Know Your Tools – Evaluating Google+
- Little Blog Marketing Metrics: Insights & Recommendations – Google Analytics Numbers
- The Analytics Microscope: Only Metrics You See Can Become Actionable
- 2011 INFOGRAPHIC on Uber.la < the social media strategy blog stats (jetpack’s infographic of my 2011 stats)
- Google Analytics for Online Marketing in Less Than 2 Minutes (VIDEO “in less than two minutes”)
- SEO and Search in a Social Media World: My Top 16 SEO Thoughts
- Capture and Share Your Experience to Become a Leader: the Blogging Path
- BLOG REALITIES: “I Stopped Reading You A While Back, I Can’t Keep Up”
- Milestones for Launching a New WordPress Site In 30 Minutes
Beyond the Blog
- Let’s Talk About Your Evil Plan(tm) – Yeah, But What Else Are You Doing?
- How Social Media Can Change Your Business – Social Media Strategist Notebook
- The Social Economy: I’m Trying to Give It Away, What’s the Problem? (So Is Everyone Else)
- Personal Branding, What’s In It For You?