Data Selfie – What the Internet Marketers Know About You
Below is my confidential data graph. It’s all the data mined online from my recent behavior. While I take precautions to hide and protect this data, it feels okay to give this to you, because the data is in photos, not tables. Mind you, this data is attached to some anonymous profile on the web about ME. And retailers and marketers (like me) can use this data to filter up things that you might be interested in buying, right now. Have you been searching for diningtables? I can show you some furniture ads.
The data selfie extension for Firefox and Chrome may be the best way for you to get a glimpse into what the data miners (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Google) know about you and your online browsing and buying habits. Make no mistake, they are tracking your every move. And I do some data hygiene by using various plugins and extensions to block the tracking data, but guess what… It’s still there.
- I use Duck Duck Go rather than Google. (DDG does not track your searches)
- I use AdBlockPlus (works with Facebook ads)
- I have several extensions (Privacy Badger, AdNauseum, Facebook Disconnect) that help keep my secrets
But overall, I’m still as transparent to the marketing cloud as I am to myself. Even with some data protection and safehex I am still tracked, filleted, and served back to advertisers as JMC3234s3012wseRR4d from Austin, Texas. Yes, they say the data is anonymous, but those credentials and few key pieces of data and you could pull my social profile out of a million other records.
And if you’ve ever wondered what data they actually have on you, starting with the data they have on me, a somewhat protected marketer myself, you’ll have a good start at understanding what you can/should do to close some of your data breaches online.
Here are a few snapshots from my data britches using Data Selfie on March 12, 2021 at 9:00am CST.
They are pretty sure (995) that I’m a male and below average in “life satisfaction.” I suppose I do post a bit about divorce and depression.
Here’s a little bit about my activities.
Not likely to be concerned about the environment is the only miss on this list.
A few more misses in this one. I don’t have any credit cards, only debit cards. And I am a brand guy. Oakley, ASICS, Head Tennis, BMW, Apple.
And now a look into the two things we don’t talk about online. Politics and Religion.
Here’s their snapshot into my personality.
They can see what have I been looking at online.
I see diningtable has made it into my graph since I’ve just moved into a new home and have been looking for furniture.
And even when I block Facebook from using my private data to market to me, they sell that data, and here is proof.
Here’s the wrapup.
You are welcome.
John McElhenney – let’s connect online
@jmacofearth & Google+ & Facebook & LinkedIn
more from uber.la
I Am Here To Help
Topics of Discussion
- digital marketing
- Fit Lifestyle
- pass it forward
- tech opinion
- the artist’s way
- WordPress 4.2 Added Emojis – You May Want to Remove that Sh*t
- Examining Alpha Brain from Onnit: “Clinically studied” Means What?
- Assessing Facebook’s Organic Reach Problem
- Zen and the Tennis Ball Machine – Alone with Patience and Agility
- Apple Support Wins Customer Service Gold Star: Go Apple Genius!
- Apple Has a MacBook Pro Problem: The 2018 MBP #Fail
- Writing for Your Life: How You Can Regain Clarity and Confidence
- Do You Write? Here’s How You Can Move Your Writing Forward
- Free Again: Uber.la Resets in the Positive Direction
- Facebook Has a Problem with Fake Accounts and Scammers
- Facebook PowerUser Strategy: Building My Marketing List
- Fire + Water (Memorial Day Remembrance)
- How Facebook Committed Suicide (Monetization Ain’t Everything)
- My Dell Hell Revisited – A Modern Consumer Fable
- The Downloadable eBook Problem: I Have the Answers
- Loving the Body: Size, Weight, Color, Age, Fitness, Happiness
- Biohacks and BioPacks: What’s Your Health Stack?
- Biohacking Your Health for Longevity and Optimal Performance (@PaleoFX – day one)
- YouTube TV – How Do You Get Your Entertainment On?
- Are You Ready for YouTube.TV?
who’s reading uber.la now
- 2226347Total reads:
- 905Reads yesterday:
- 807589Total visitors:
- 2Visitors currently online:
- 09/13/2013Counter starts on:
Subscribe to Blog via Email