Bungle in the Jungle: I’m a tiger if you want love, I’m a snake if we disagree
I think this diagram and discussion by Paul Graham sums up why TWITTER SNIPING is bad form.
How to Disagree by Paul Graham. Here’s a taste:
But the greatest benefit of disagreeing well is not just that it will make conversations better, but that it will make the people who have them happier. If you study conversations, you find there is a lot more meanness down in DH1 than up in DH6. You don’t have to be mean when you have a real point to make. In fact, you don’t want to. If you have something real to say, being mean just gets in the way.
If moving up the disagreement hierarchy makes people less mean, that will make most of them happier. Most people don’t really enjoy being mean; they do it because they can’t help it.
Graham has even built a hierarchy of disagreement that is a good tool for understanding your own stance.
I work to keep my discussions in the higher realms of the disagreement hierarchy.
My hat off to Paul Graham for building such a useful diagram and giving us a well-defined framework for arguing. We must disagree to move forward on things where we have misunderstandings. It is best if we can keep the discussion in the higher realms of the hierarchy.
A modern day Twitter Argument, where blocking may be dropping into the lower forms of disagreement: Twitter Blocking: "Sorry, you can’t follow the user (because they’re blocking you)"
Other posts about kicking ass in social media:
- 6 Step Process for Refreshing Your Online Content
- RE: The Death of Pay Per Click Advertising (PPC): Not So Fast, Let’s Examine
- Web Referrals: Know Your Metrics, Know Your Tools – Evaluating Google+
- 6 Step Twitter Growth Process: Results +753
- Let’s Talk About Your Evil Plan(tm) – Yeah, But What Else Are You Doing?
- The Quick Course in Online Marketing: Big Picture (Social Media, Search Engine, eMail, Content Marketing)
- New Web Design Standards: Flexible-Width and non-IE Browsers Abound
- 8 Steps Getting Social Media To 5 Goals & 2 Wins the [INFOGRAPHIC]
- ROI ROI ROI and Social Media; We Need to Have This Discussion Again
- Pinterest and the Power of Social Bookmarking: Tag Yourself (Web Design is Dead)
- Social Media MBA – The Reading List
See all of the Social Media Marketing Videos on the Social U. page.
Tags: @omarg, disagreement, disagreement hierarchy, graham’s heirarchy, heirarchy of diasgreement, how to disagree, I’m a bitch, I’m a snake, i’m a tiger, jmacofearth, mr. omar, omar galliga, paul graham, sniping, sniping is bad form, snipping on twitter, social media is not hate, twittersniper