The Social Economy: I’m Trying to Give It Away, What’s the Problem? (So Is Everyone Else)
wOOt! I got a referral yesterday!
It was for the boyfriend of my step-sister and had no relationship to my site or my offers. I will be the first to admit, "It’s tough to make a living in the free economy."
So what is going on these days in social media business? I know it is not just me having this problem. Everyone I talk to is hurting. Is it the economy? Is it the hype of social media and the overselling of the business value of Facebook? Is it because Facebook and Twitter accounts are free and "anyone" can do this stuff? Are my offers ambiguous or not compelling enough? I’m stumped. I’d like your help. If I could only get you to RESPOND TO ANYTHING. But the truth is, I can’t. It is a lurkers world out there, and we’ve all just got to deal with it. But let’s see if we can reveal some truths about the OFFER and what is FREE and what is NOT FREE.
Several months ago I wrote about how many of us forget to ask for the business: THE Biggest Mistake In Social Media Marketing: Not Asking for the Business As I outlined the process to go from passive to active business mining I figured my own advice would pay off. And it has, but not in the exact ways I had planned, or would need them to pay off if I were looking to make a living doing this kind of work.
My offers are simple.
The free consulting play. Give me a bit of information about your business and I will give you something for free. Something you can use to make positive changes in your business.
1. Free. 2. Limited time offer (better hurry, urgency) 3. SWOT report (maybe people don’t know what this is)
My free eBook play. In exchange for your email address I will give you this very fancy PowerPoint deck I keep revising to make it more helpful to you.
1. free; 2. immediate download (get this information now); 3 example of page view; 4. easy opt-out if you don’t want to be on the list but still want the book.
And finally the actual "Work with Me" call to action. You can’t get more basic than this.
1. free resource library of useful content; 2. call or click to work with me
The final ask: give me your email address so we can get in contact. The easiest form I can manage.
1. free 30 minute consultation; 2. simple contact form; 3 only 2 required fields.
Is something about my information or presentation intimidating? When I offer 30 minutes free do you believe me? Is there something else I could give you for free? Would you rather pay for this information somewhere else?
How am I missing?
And perhaps the problem is this: Everybody is giving it away. The Hubspots and Chris Brogans of the world are fishing in the same waters as I am with much larger nets and more powerful offers. So how can I take it personal? What can I do to localize my offer that the big boys can’t do?
I have to show up. This is the bottom line. If I shake your hand and look into your eyes, you are about 10 times more likely to accept my free consulting offer. Why wouldn’t you, right? But on the web, I’m just a hawker with an offer that’s too good to be true, there must be a catch. And how could I produce as much killer content as Marketing Sherpa or Amercian Express OPEN? I can’t. BUT, they can’t show up at local events and say "hello."
So that’s my social currency. It’s not in providing all this great info for free. It’s not offering a consulting analysis for your business for free. My value is in showing up in person, at an event, and actually being SOCIAL. While all this online stuff is good for networking, you actually have to be willing to network in person if you are going to gain anyone’s trust. In this Trust Economy the offers are easy and cheap and unbelievable. In the face-2-face economy you are only as truthful and real as your introduction and salesman-free manner.
Go. Do. Be. Social. All this online stuff is to get you THERE.
How we got here – the other two posts in this thread:
(1) THE Biggest Mistake In Social Media Marketing: Not Asking for the Business
Now I need to give that solution, or the framework for that solution, to you for free. Well, in exchange for your email address. You can opt-out if you like, but without contact, I’ll never know you were here other than that blip on Google Analytics. (Awareness of the problem)
(2) The Social Economy: I’m Trying to Give It Away, What’s the Problem? (Offering a solution)
(3) Monday Morning Consulting Offer: Cost = Nearly Free; Value = Priceless
I’d like to meet you and talk about your business and the whole spectrum of online marketing opportunities that could contribute to your success. (Taking the Offer Direct)
Check out the Strategist’s Notebook page and these other posts about online marketing:
- Workin Facebook < all the Facebook Posts in one place
- uber.la quickies < a streamlined takeaway from today’s best marketing sources
- Social Media University < 2 minute educational videos
- Social Business MBA < the reading list
- Becoming a Social Media Rockstar: The Quick Path < um… let’s discuss
Let me help you jumpstart your social marketing:
Most people don’t really enjoy being mean; they do it because they can’t help it. (from Graham’s Hierarchy of Disagreement)
- Twitter’s Follow-Unfollow Game
- What Will You Make Your Life About?
- What Facebook Reach Looks Like with 2,000 Followers
- Facebook Scams? HiJacking Giftcards on Facebook? (RAYBAN, OAKLEY, APPLE)
- We’re Going Pay-per-view at UBER.LA
- Why We Keep Using Facebook: The Good, Bad, and Fail
- Empire Building with Social Media: What You Should Be Doing
- The Portable Artist: Creativity On-the-go!
- The Day After a Viral Hit
- Reconsidering the Purpose of my Apple Watch
- My Little Apple Watch
- KISS: Why the PC Players Should Follow Apple’s Lead
- Marketing Blog Statistics 2015 Results
Navigation & Categories
- 567Reads today:
- 10737Reads last week:
- 16789Reads this month:
- 5Visitors currently online:
Love your webhost? Check out my stellar hosting company A2Hosting!