The Social Sharing Golden Rule: "And What Excites You About That?"
Here is today’s example of the WTF video link. Words like "inspiration" and "friendship" are supposed to put it in context for us. NO. And even the description within the video and the still-frame of the video offer no clue about the content. "Definitely worth watching." Oh really? Please, please tell me why. Is it a bird. A plane? A wild animal sex scene? WTF is it? And Why Oh Why should I care, dear "friend." And the video is from March 2010? Wow, that means it must be really awesome! If I recall, vintage YouTube "friendship" videos are the best. (sarcasm)
I suppose I *could* click the link and waste this 2:34 that I will never get back. But I don’t think I ever will. I have to say, I am pretty curious now. But I’m also curious about a lot of things. And your "friendship" YouTube video from 2010 is not one of those things. But thanks… (I don’t think I’m cynical, I have HOPE that people will improve upon their sharing behavior. But this friend recalled used to drive me nuts by calling on the phone and saying, "Have you seen the email I just sent you?")
BEFORE YOU TWEET OR REPOST THAT POST, PAUSE: Ask yourself, "What excites me about this?" AND then tell us WHY this link, video, post, is so cool or relevant to us. Unless it’s a #cat or #dog picture, then no context is needed. OTHERWISE, we’re all too busy, and too overloaded to click on links just for the heck of it.
+++ the post is a refresh from 2011, the point is still of critical importance, enjoy your summer +++
We’ve all done it. Sent out the link or youtube video suggestion with zero context or added value. The Tweets and Shares look like this:
- Funny video – http://xyz.com
- Check this out – http://xyz.com
Those look a bit like this example of a common Twitter hack.
If you don’t want you sharing to be ignored. Give a bit more info.
And we often make random tweets or comments that are more like talking to ourselves than to an anticipatory audience of "followers."
- You mean it could all be my LowT? Oh Pharma how you taunt me, promising the fountain of youth.
But some of the worst offenders are the gowalla/4square check-ins that have no additional information.
- I am at McDonalds in Tempe AZ.
- I’m just ousted the Mayor of Starbucks on Cedar Street.
So here’s the new golden rule of social sharing. (And I am writing this to myself, also, I tweet a lot of bs, I’m sure)
Before you hit the "share," "comment," or "check-in" button, ask yourself, "And what excites you about that?" and try to add that extra tidbit of content on as part of the social share. Here’s an example:
- "I am at the Whole Foods Downtown, waiting for a 15-minute chair massage on a Friday afternoon. We’ve almost made it to the long weekend."
There are several parts of this post that are exciting. Friday, massage, Whole Foods. It gives a little more to engage with. And yes, it’s that simple. If you’re gonna check in, or send a funny link, tell us why you are excited about it. Add the human part that a Twitter Coupon, Facebook Clone, Auto-Bot cannot generate. A bit of story to go along with your share.
If you can’t articulate a quick-why this is exciting-then you might reconsider telling us all about it.
Find What You Were Looking for on
The Active Media Academy
- Why You Probably Will Not Own an EV (A Harrowing Day w/ the BMW i3)
- An Animal Hunger
- Is There a Me Inside of Here That Is Dying to Get Out
- New MacBook Pros with Touch Bar Are Set to Break the Bank
- What I Want In An Apple Watch 3.0
- Apple’s Stock is Falling, But Don’t Worry
- Snapshot of My Referral Traffic
- The Almost Non-Review of the iPhone 7 Plus
- One Step Towards or Away from My Fitness Goal
- Pancakes for Everyone Else But Me
- Starting with the Body I Have
- A Psychology/Plan That’s Thousands of Years Old
- Holiday Fitness Plan: No Belt Loosening Habits Here
- Excuses, Temptations, and Laziness Along the Path to Wellness
- My Chemical Romance – Sugar Sex Magic
- Even the Smallest Detail Says Something About Me
- Twitter Power Strategy
- Dialing In the Perfect Snack
- Fitness First Milestone and a Remarkable Result
- Destination Me < Here < Now
Get Better Hosting
- digital marketing
- Fit Lifestyle
- tech opinion
Count per Day
- 462Reads today:
- 7397Reads last week:
- 2Visitors currently online:
Subscribe to Blog via Email