Google Page Rank: What You Know and Don’t Know Can Hurt Your Business
What Google does and doesn’t tell us about Page Rank is confusing. Let’s see what they tell us, what we can find out on our own, and what assumptions we can make.
First order of business is:
Defining Google Page Rank
PageRank is a link analysis algorithm, named after Larry Page and used to assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a web page, with the purpose of "measuring" its relative importance. (paraphrased from PageRank wikipedia)
Several things this does for you.
1. It raises your importance in Google’s search results. The better your page rank the higher you are going to come up in their listings.
2. More importantly, your PR # determines your Authority. And Google’s Adwords uses this number to determine how much you will pay for ADWORDS. A better PR means your page is BETTER and thus more accurate for the search results.
3. And your PR # determines how much money Google’s AdSense is going to charge for ads on your site, and thus how much money you might make from enrolling in Google’s AdSense program.
Here’s a nifty little diagram that Google uses to explain how they value your page.
And of course, Google not only changes their search algorithms, they also change the Page Rank algorithms.
Here’s a different perspective on PageRank.
Wikipedia on PageRank. Here’s their diagram.
Without getting too far into the details of the PageRank (PR) calculations, let’s focus on what’s more important.
How do you increase your Google PR?
From Google’s Support Pages: To increase the PageRank of a website, get back links from popular, relevant niche sites.
RULE 1: Links from the relevant niche sites helps in getting good rank in SERP
RULE 2: Links from the high PR sites help in attaining high PageRank.
Page Rank Tools
To stay on top of your Page Rank (experimentation and management) you need some tools.
Google Toolbar (FireFox, IE, etc.)
PageRank Status (for Chrome)
Here’s an extended report from PageRank Status that tells you a lot more about the site.
So from here, I can see that compete is having some problems collecting my data. (need to look into this)
I can also see my SNS (Social Networks Signals). This is an upcoming metric that seems to be influencing Google’s Page Rank, even if they aren’t telling us exactly how. It even tells me the last time Google spidered my site.
How Do You Get BACK LINKs To Your Site?
- Write great content.
- Create TOP-10 lists that INCLUDE your Target back linker. (I’m not into this, but it works. Check out all the top-10 lists and see if those included don’t have links to this "authorative" post. Upping the visibility of all parties included in the TOP list.
- Ask for links. If another site is offering complementary information, or has similar interests, you can ask for reciprocal links.
- Write a guest post. They post your content, you get the back link. The higher the PR value of the blog/site, the more Link Juice you get from your effort.
Keep It Social Out There!(tm)
@jmacofearth (also seen on Google+: jmacofearth)
reference: Google Support: Page Rank
Check out the Strategist’s Notebook page and these other posts about online marketing:
- Workin Facebook < all the Facebook Posts in one place
- The Disciplines of Social Media < free ebook download
- uber.la quickies < a streamlined takeaway from today’s best marketing sources
- Social Media University < 2 minute educational videos
- Social Business MBA < the reading list
- Becoming a Social Media Rockstar: The Quick Path < um… let’s discuss
Let me help you jumpstart your social marketing:
- FluentSocial (Social Media Marketing)
- FluentSearch (SEO, Google Adwords)
Most people don’t really enjoy being mean; they do it because they can’t help it. (from Graham’s Hierarchy of Disagreement)
- digital marketing
- tech opinion
- The Social Media Relevance Test: G+ Is Failing
- Tech Cartoons As-they-happen: Lab Coat
- Revitalizing the Professional Social Network: Where Do You Get Social?
- Facebook Philosophy: It’s How You Choose to Use It
- Teens on Social Media – The Kerfuffle.
- Social Media Referrals, What’s Working for Your Business?
- Facebook Business Pages: Why I Killed Mine & Why I Just Rebooted It
- Facebook Angst: Are We Just Whining? Or Does Facebook Suck?
- Twitter Falling: Top Four Failures So Far
- Two Strategies to Make Twitter More Engaging
Available for Download
Out now from BookBaby
- 163Reads today:
- 5501Reads last week:
- 40425Reads this month:
- 4Visitors currently online:
A2 HostingPsst, here’s our hosting company.