Growing a Flock of Followers on Twitter
There’s only one way to grow your Twitter following. Follow others.
You may try to create great content, let people know your Twitter ID, and use it as your content signature, like I did/do, but that strategy, even for a blogger that gets 30,000 reads a month, will average you about 2 – 3 new followers. You’re just not going to get any momentum if that’s your approach.
What do you think, a couple new followers a week, or this…
Here’s the framework for building your flock.
- Follow as many people as Twitter will allow you to.
- Follow people who you would like to have following you back.
- Add influencers to LISTS that you curate.
- Follow back the people who are following you – if they are "of value" to your networking efforts.
It can be difficult to find people to follow. Here are some ideas.
- Look at the people who are following you. Are there any valuable targets? If so, go follow the people they are following.
- Search for #hashtags you want to dominate and populate. Follow the people who are movers and shakers.
- Follow the superstars in your industry. Follow who they follow.
And the final ingredient: Unfollow non-followers every month to open up more following slots.
To build an active and targeted Twitter following required effort, focus, and clear goals. Once you have a good flock started, make sure you don’t spam tweet at them. And make sure you’re tweeting on message.
The Easy Growth Process
a. Follow good tweeters and leaders
b. Season the list and let them follow you back
c. Unfollow non-followers
Reference: Twitter, to Save Itself, Must Scale Back World-Swallowing Ambitions (I disagree, I think Twitter needs to GO for world domination and quick trying to be innovative.)
@jmacofearth (also seen on Google+: jmacofearth)
A few juicy tidbits:
- Clowns to the Left of Me, Jokers to the Right: Twitter’s Big Problem
- Twitter is Having a Come-To-Jesus Moment
- Why Twitter Is Thrashing: Seeking the Magic Money Piñata
- I Talk About Twitter Because I Care: And Because It’s Starting to Suck
- The Stupid Numbers Game on Twitter
- Here’s How You Are Killing Twitter
- The Unhappy Reality of Twitter Ads
- What Will You Make Your Life About?
- What Facebook Reach Looks Like with 2,000 Followers
- Facebook Scams? HiJacking Giftcards on Facebook? (RAYBAN, OAKLEY, APPLE)
- We’re Going Pay-per-view at UBER.LA
- Why We Keep Using Facebook: The Good, Bad, and Fail
- Empire Building with Social Media: What You Should Be Doing
- The Portable Artist: Creativity On-the-go!
- The Day After a Viral Hit
- Reconsidering the Purpose of my Apple Watch
- My Little Apple Watch
- KISS: Why the PC Players Should Follow Apple’s Lead
- Marketing Blog Statistics 2015 Results
- Going Big on Twitter
Navigation & Categories
- 1238Reads today:
- 10868Reads last week:
- 12955Reads this month:
- 2Visitors currently online:
Love your webhost? Check out my stellar hosting company A2Hosting!