6 Step Twitter Growth Process: Results of my #SXSW Uber-Follow Plan +753
Final Update 3-31-12: +715 followers after three weeks.
I put my 6-step Twitter Growth Process in action at the beginning of SXSW this year. Grow my followers by following, following, following. It’s a boring and tedious process. But it’s one of the ways to build your networks of influence. Let’s look at the results and a few of the consequences of my evil plan(tm).
After 3 days I’ve added 562 followers to my flock. And the 13th was really the wrap on the SXSW conference.
Of course as attendees got back to their hometowns and regular jobs their business of cleaning up their Twitter accounts would begin. So let’s see what’s happened by Sunday morning, March 18.
So almost 200 adds after the end of the conference, even after I had ended my aggressive following campaign.
You can check my LIVE RESULTS if you want to see the interactive version: Twittercounter-jmacofearth
Here’s the recap of the SIX STEP PROCESS for building your Twitter influence.
1. Find and Follow Influencers. (I started my SXSW Intensive Follow Yesterday)
2. Find and Follow pockets of like-minded Tweeters. (I used SXSW as my like-minded target group)
3. Provide consistent content in your tweets.
4. Hit your following limit every day.
5. Unfollow methodically using a tool. Keep the Tweeps you like, discard the uninteresting.
I will do this later today and report my results tomorrow. The tool ManageFlitter can help you unfollow large groups of people at a time. What you want to do, however is sort the influencers OUT of your UNFOLLOW LIST. While I have not paid for ManageFlitter yet, I am considering it. A PRO version allows you to White List certain followers to keep from unfollowing them accidentally.
6. Rinse and Repeat.
The only downside to this program is I end up following a lot of people I don’t have any interest in listening to. Now begins the process of the selective Unfollow. When I had my following down to 3oo people I really enjoyed a good signal-to-noise ratio. I found I was much more interested in checking in.
Check in tomorrow for the unfollow report, as I start dropping the majority of followers from our mutual follow relationship. My guess is about 40% will unfollow me back for unfollowing them.
@jmacofearth (also seen on Google+: jmacofearth)
The Twitter Way page is a valuable resource and here are some of the top Twitter posts:
- Essential Twitter Lessons; Play it Safe, Be Real, and Have a Two-Way Conversation
- The 1-2-3 Guide to Getting Real with Twitter
- Zen of the Tweet (My best-of tweets collection)
- TwitterTools (matrix of Twitter apps and Twitter management tools)
- Twitter for Social Media Marketing Ideas and Research: Know Your #Hashtags
- Twitter Jail: What is it? What are the rules? How do I break out?
- Twitter Broke the ReTweet Awhile Ago, Making Lazy RT-ers of Us; Do It Yourself
- The Art and Science of the ReTweet; or ReTweeting with a Twist
- The Twitter Bubble; Don’t Let Your Followers Fool You Into Feeling Influential
- How to Get Useful Business Information Out of Twitter: Hashtags for Social Media Research
Other posts about kicking ass in social media:
- My Generic Twitter Infographic from Visual.ly – Here They Come
- Homeless Hotspots in Austin, Texas: Told From All Sides #SXSW 2012 and #HHSXSW
- Let’s Talk About Your Evil Plan(tm) – Yeah, But What Else Are You Doing?
- The Quick Course in Online Marketing: Big Picture (Social Media, Search Engine Marketing, eMail Marketing, Content Marketing)
- New Web Design Standards: Flexible-Width and non-IE Browsers Abound
- 8 Steps Getting Social Media To 5 Goals & 2 Wins the [INFOGRAPHIC]
- ROI ROI ROI and Social Media; We Need to Have This Discussion Again
- Facebook Privacy: the Myth, the Changes, the Confusing Privacy Settings
- Damn, We Should Do An Infographic on That; Charts Trying to Be More and Do More?
- Pinterest and the Power of Social Bookmarking: Tag Yourself (Web Design is Dead)
- Social Media MBA – The Reading List
See all of the Social Media Marketing Videos on the Social U. page.
- digital marketing (644)
- a marketing quickie (16)
- blogging (75)
- design & user experience (101)
- facebook for business (113)
- google+ (76)
- linkedIn (52)
- search engine optimization (69)
- social media marketing (366)
- twitter way (116)
- learning (316)
- creativity (27)
- happiness (12)
- leadership (113)
- trust (196)
- tech opinion (398)
- tech reviews (102)
- digital marketing (644)
- Tired of Facebook Even After a 99 Day Hiatus
- Get Into Your Mess: Cleaning Can Be a Distraction
- Who You Follow On Twitter Says More Than You Think
- Yosemite Review – Hour One (Apple’s New OS X 10.10)
- Stop Talking: Do The Work, Don’t Talk About Doing It
- Why I Blocked Chris Brogan, Back
- Real-world Hashtags on Twitter: Do You Surf Tags? Do You Use Keywords?
- How I Found Happiness: Lessons Along the Way
- Digital Transformation Report 2014 – Altimeter Group – a Quickie
- Digital Marketing DNA: First, Get the Basics Right
Available for Download
Out now from BookBaby
let’s connectI am available for public speaking, call (512) 524-6684 or use the contact page.
- 1196Reads today:
- 8712Reads last week:
- 19156Reads this month:
- 5Visitors currently online: