Personal Branding, What’s In It For You?
There is a difference between a personal "brand" and being a kickass 10 year-old pitcher. What your son has is budding reputation, not a brand. The brand comes in when he/you/the coach/the company starts putting a phrase, ID or "brand" around your son.In my case, building a personal brand inside Dell was vital to my survival. In a company with over 80k workers and lots of really smart people how would I get my name on the radar of the executives that might actually give me a shot at something bigger than I was already working on?
This was never more apparent then during a global online "innovation" contest. When I stepped up, after about 30 or so entrants, one of the insiders hooted, "Jay-Maaac!" My nick name had become a brand. And at that moment I stuck out from the crowd as someone to be watched.
Turns out my idea was chosen as one of 7 finalists out of 71 entries. In fact, I had 2 ideas chosen. Is that a rockstar? Well, the VP who sponsored the contest was let go within a few months of the first round and the winner was never crowned. Was it a personal brand? Yep, right there in the crowd, a person basically "sponsored" my pitch. And since this person had been at Dell for more than 7 years, his calling me out was a huge boost for my confidence.
I can think of some branding to apply to your son, but for now I say he should perfect his craft and keep working hard. The "brand" will be established in the process of becoming an ever better player and more importantly a good person.
Note: I really want to explore the elements of personal branding in a future post. But for now, go Google or Bing yourself and see what your "internet brand" says about you. If it’s not what you want it to say, then you’d better get to work. Many people and events can affect your personal brand, but taking control of your brand on Google or Bing is a matter of effort and strategic work. I can tell you more about that in a bit as well.
Find What You Were Looking for on
The Active Media Academy
- Why You Probably Will Not Own an EV (A Harrowing Day w/ the BMW i3)
- An Animal Hunger
- Is There a Me Inside of Here That Is Dying to Get Out
- New MacBook Pros with Touch Bar Are Set to Break the Bank
- What I Want In An Apple Watch 3.0
- Apple’s Stock is Falling, But Don’t Worry
- Snapshot of My Referral Traffic
- The Almost Non-Review of the iPhone 7 Plus
- One Step Towards or Away from My Fitness Goal
- Pancakes for Everyone Else But Me
- Starting with the Body I Have
- A Psychology/Plan That’s Thousands of Years Old
- Holiday Fitness Plan: No Belt Loosening Habits Here
- Excuses, Temptations, and Laziness Along the Path to Wellness
- My Chemical Romance – Sugar Sex Magic
- Even the Smallest Detail Says Something About Me
- Twitter Power Strategy
- Dialing In the Perfect Snack
- Fitness First Milestone and a Remarkable Result
- Destination Me < Here < Now
Get Better Hosting
- digital marketing
- Fit Lifestyle
- tech opinion
Count per Day
- 133Reads today:
- 7068Reads last week:
- 4Visitors currently online:
Subscribe to Blog via Email