Social Media Communication Style, Listening, Responding, Conversing: Chat, IM, TXT, facebook, Twitter
Figuring out how to reach potential customers and fans is difficult enough. But once you’ve gotten them "on the line" the next steps in the relationship are critical. You have to meet your customer on their preferred channel. They may love TXT but never check email. They may be buried in email and love facebook messaging. They might even use Twitter as an IM-type client. It is not their responsibility to let you know what they like, it is up to you to discover how to connect.
We love to talk about "conversations" and "connecting" and "listening" in social media. We measure "share of voice" and "sentiment." What we may not be measuring yet is "effectiveness of the conversation."
What is your goal when communicating with a potential customer? It is not to get your sales message across, I can promise you that. It may be to answer a pre-sale question or a post-sale complaint. It may be a request for information about your environmental records. It could even be as simple as a LIKE on facebook. How do you respond? When do you respond? What if the comment or question is negative?
Getting a conversation going on social media is bit like dating. You try and listen more than talk. You respond to the words and cadence of the other person’s style. If they like TXT you give them your phone number. If they want to "friend" you on facebook, you send them the link. If they like to "talk" on the telephone, well… you come out of your social shell and talk.
In conversing with potential customers your ability to blend and reflect their needs is very important, regardless of what type of communication it is. It’s the banter between two people that seals the relationship. Can you roll with the punches, or pick up the lost thread of a previous conversation. Do you have word skills, humor skills, empathy skills? They are all required in today’s communication cluster.
So if you want to halla at me you can reach me with varying degrees of connectivity at:
- email: john.mcelhenney (at) gmail.com
- twitter: @jmacofearth
- txt/phone: 512-909-9949
- linkedIN: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jmacofearth
- IM: AIM/Yahoo: john32mac
- Video/Chat: Skype: john32mac Google+: jmacofearth
Other posts to help you kick ass in social media:
- Nobody Reads Your Blog: Sorry! Get Over It and Get On With It
- Twitter Death – Suspended Accounts: FEAR THIS "Your account is currently suspended"
- Twitter 101: Hashtag Discovery & Business: How-To Do Social Media Marketing Research
- How Social Media Can Change Your Business – Social Media Strategist Notebook
- The 7 Connective Practices of a Tribe – How To Build and Support Shared Plans
- Social Media Workflow: What’s Your Daily Cadence for Sharing on Social Networks [infographic]
- Let’s Talk About Your Evil Plan(tm) – Yeah, But What Else Are You Doing?
- The Quick Course in Online Marketing: Big Picture (Social Media, Search Engine, eMail, Content Marketing)
- 8 Steps Getting Social Media To 5 Goals & 2 Wins the [INFOGRAPHIC]
Let me help you jumpstart your social marketing:
- design & user experience
- executive learnings
- search engine optimization
- social media
- teaming & leadership
- tech opinion
- tech reviews
- "We Googled You" : What You’d Better Know About Your SERP on Google
- The Twitter Bubble; Don’t Let Your Number of Followers Fool You Into Feeling Influential
- Visualizing Twitter Again: I Tweet Therefore I Am
- Repeat After Me: Social Media Affects eCommerce, Yes It Does…
- The Six Pillars of Online Reputation and Brand Management
- Your Cloud of Tweets – What Are You Going On About Now?
- The Value of the "Social Influencer"
- 16 Ideas to Define Your Social Media "Thought Leadership"
- Twitter Discovery Simplified – Who To Follow & How to Find Them
- Social Media Communication Style, Listening, Responding, Conversing: Chat, IM, TXT, facebook, Twitter
Count per Day
- 116Reads today:
- 5422Reads per month: