The Day After a Viral Hit
To a small blogger, like myself, a single post that generates over 1,200 views in two days is amazing. It’s not Viral with a capital "v" but it’s certainly viral.
The problem with this "hit" is the driver was Flipboard. And I have no way to track it back to the source, or the champion who added my Apple Watch post to their audience on Flipboard. I used all my tools. I saw the hit coming, I pushed a few extra times on my Twitter feed, but I was clear the Flipboard boost was a single event. I even wrote another quick Apple Watch post to see if I could get some residual traffic. And that worked pretty well. A normal post for me does about 200 reads on the first day. My "apple watch" post yesterday got 356 views. So it did get a boost, but not in the 1,200 views mark.
The feeling of a viral hit is awesome. The day after it looks like the metrics are giving me the finger.
What do we learn from a big hit on a post.
- Do it again.
- Refresh the content.
- See out the influencer who drove the page views.
- Write more content to the audience that read the post.
Other than that, a viral hit is fun, but it doesn’t really change my process or my plans for what’s next. I would love to architect a viral hit a week. Imagine where I could take the numbers on this site. But that’s not likely to happen. I’ll keep trying though. And I’ll keep picking myself back up after the rush of a hit lets me fall harder into ennui.
@jmacofearth (also seen on Google+: jmacofearth)
other viral-related posts:
- The Swallowed Elephant Is Leaving My Metrics: Looking for Virality
- Breaking Down the "Value" of a Viral Hit on Social Media
And a few more of interest
- So, You Don’t Understand Twitter, Let Me Explain
- Twitter’s Follow-Unfollow Game
- What Will You Make Your Life About?
- What Facebook Reach Looks Like with 2,000 Followers
- Facebook Scams? HiJacking Giftcards on Facebook? (RAYBAN, OAKLEY, APPLE)
- We’re Going Pay-per-view at UBER.LA
- Why We Keep Using Facebook: The Good, Bad, and Fail
- Empire Building with Social Media: What You Should Be Doing
- The Portable Artist: Creativity On-the-go!
- The Day After a Viral Hit
- Reconsidering the Purpose of my Apple Watch
- My Little Apple Watch
- KISS: Why the PC Players Should Follow Apple’s Lead
Navigation & Categories
- 1101Reads today:
- 10753Reads last week:
- 2587Reads this month:
- 3Visitors currently online:
Love your webhost? Check out my stellar hosting company A2Hosting!